This course covers the importance topic of accounting and accountability. Accounting is the core part of governance, which has gained such importance in recent years, especially in developing countries. Civil society organisations have also recognised the importance of public finance, with many of them now being active in the area of budget analysis. This course is aims to enable you to have a broad understanding of the area to allow you to be able to review and understand the accounts and financial statements produced by governments and other public entities, and to understand the role and scope of audit in the public sector.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose and methods of accounting for public sector entities and governments
- Assess the appropriate accounting base for different types of transaction
- Describe the relationship between types of management controls and types of accounting
- Describe the main accounting standards and understand the differences among them
- Understand the particular accounting problems of transactions that are exclusive to the public sector
- Public Sector Accounting
- What is Public Financial Management?
- Workflow and the Accounting Base
- Financial Reporting under the Cash Basis of Accounting
- The Cash Basis IPSAS and the Relevance of Consolidated Accounts for the Public Sector
- Accounting for International Aid
- Budget Reporting Standards
- Application of IFRS to the Public Sector
- IPSAS 1 to 21 – Definitions and Broad Principles
- Interpretation of Financial Statements based on the IPSAS
- Social Policy Obligations – State Pensions
- PFI and PPP
- PEFA Benchmark for Public Financial Management
- Standards and Guidance for Audit in the Public Sector
- Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) – Performance Measurement Framework
- Independence and the Auditor-General
Our mission is the development of potentials in individuals and organizations in emerging economies. We believe that economies develop when entities within it are performing to their highest potential.
People matter to us. We are committed to understanding our clients so that we can serve them better. Our ultimate goal is to foster mutually beneficial longterm relationships with each of our clients that is built on trust.
Our faculty members are experts within their fields, and are supported by a network of dynamic back-office staff. We actively encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing, recognizing that winning ideas come from collaborative thinking. With the wealth of knowledge within our teams and our collaborative ethos, we create an atmosphere that is conducive to learning for all our delegates.